You're engaged! As you spend the next few weeks, months, or years (depending on your timeline) planning your dream wedding, you will spend a lot of your time choosing a gorgeous wedding dress, picking pretty flower bouquets and other floral arrangements, asking friends to be your bridesmaids and groomsmen, selecting a jaw-dropping wedding ceremony and reception venue, picking your first dance song, figuring out how to take the perfect wedding day photos, and more! All of that, in addition to showing off your ring, sounds like a lot of work! So I gathered facts about Engagement for you to share. They're interesting and they might even help you make some planning decisions!
- Percentage of brides who change their Facebook status soon after they get engaged: 75%.
- Percentage of couples who take engagement photos: 69%.
- 61% of guys consult with their girlfriend before buying the ring.
- When it came to picking an engagement ring, 56% of brides say their biggest priority was shape (followed by 26% that said cut, 13% that said size, and 5% that said color).
- 52% of brides say they would wear a colored stone in their engagement ring like Halle Berry or Jessica Simpson.
- 37% of brides were completely surprised by the proposal.
- 29% of men would wear an engagement ring.
- 27% of brides call their best friend first after the proposal.
- 10% of all engagements (220,000) take place on Valentine's Day each year.
- The most popular month for engagement? December.
Still searching for your dream wedding dress? You'll get a kick out of these fun facts about your most important wedding-day purchase.
- Brides decide on their wedding dresses about 11 months prior to the wedding.
- 95% of brides would rather their bridesmaids not wear white.
- 86% wear something old, new, borrowed, and blue.
- 66% of of brides want their bridesmaids to wear matching dresses.
- 59% of brides use Pinterest to find inspiration for their wedding dress.
- 57% purchase at an independent bridal salon.
- 46% of brides preserve their wedding dress for their children or grandchildren.
- 32% of brides purchase their wedding dress from a national bridal chain.
- Biggest splurges outside of the dress? 31% say shoes, 67% say hair and makeup, and 2% say they spend the most money on their wedding day clutch.
- 21% of brides plan to wear a second dress.
- 18% of brides buy their dresses online.
- 14% of brides would wear a colored wedding dress.
- Only 14% of brides show the groom their dress before the wedding.
- 1% of brides purchase their wedding dress at a sample sale.
- 1.85 miles: The length of the world's longest wedding gown train.
All these statistical data are from BRIDES.